Monday, October 17, 2011

The first 50 years of Privy Council appeals from India

I've just finished putting up all my notes for the first 50 appeals to the Privy Council from territories governed by the English East India Company (introduction and chart here). I was inspired by the fact that all of the Privy Council minutes before 1800 are now available online for free. This is an important development for anyone working on the history of the early modern British world and I would very much like to see some projects emerge which take advantage of this now-more-accessible-than-ever data. In the coming months I hope I can stir up interest and maybe create a digital resource covering all appeals to the PC before 1800. I would love to hear from others interested in seeing this happen.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mitch - Thank you for all your efforts, makes reading and research interesting. I would like to see you through with your attempt to cover all appeals to the PC prior 1800. I am practicing Lawyer in chennai/madras and a student of law. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr. Kumar - I would love to take the appeals up to 1800 at some point or at least make the documents from them more available. I look forward to going back to Chennai at some point and making more use of the Tamil Nadu State Archives - a treasure trove of legal history documents (though difficult to access).

      Delete
  2. Hello, Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.
    Legal Advice India

    ReplyDelete